French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

The following is a list I've made of French words that resemble English ones but in reality are different. I'm not interested in words (such as "poison" and "six" and "fiancé") that are the same in both languages. Would you care to add to this list?

as

assist

attend

bless

bras

but

cave

chair

chat

choir

chose

comment

figure

fin

four

irons

laid

lit

main

met

on

or

ours

pain

pays

pour

sale

sang

seize

smoking

son

sort

store

tape

tire

ton

tour

Views: 3048

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ride

In French, this is a wrinkle, as on a face or fruit.

En anglais, c'est un trajet; ou, comme verbe, c'est monter (animal) ou rouler à (vélo).

En anglais, «put» a le sens de «mettre». Passé: "He put the ball on the table." Présent ou passé: "I put the ball on the table."

In French, "put" means "to be able" in the 3rd person singular, simple past tense. E.g., "Elle put lire" means "She could read." Contrast with "Elle a pu lire".

for

en Anglais : pour, pendant

In French : it's used in the expression "en son for intérieur" which means "in his heart of hearts"

tout

In French, this means "all" or "every".

En anglais, ça veut dire "vanter les mérites".

tongs

In French this means "flip-flops", "thongs" (the shoe wear).

En anglais ça veut dire "les pincettes" - un outil pour saisir [de la viande, de la salade].

I would add:

crayon

plume

rouge

tableau

vent

fFrench words that resemble English -

1................................Affluence (French) vs Affluence (English)

Affluence (F) is a crowd of people
     Affluence (E) indicates a lot of something (usually wealth): There's an affluence of information here - 

2...........................Affaire (F) vs Affair (E)

Affaire (F) can mean business, matter, deal, transaction, or scandal.
     Affair (E) is the equivalent of affaire only in the sense of an event or concern. A love affair is une liaison, une affaire d'amour, or une aventure amoureuse.

3...............Aimer (French) vs Aim (Eng)

Aimer (F) means to like or to love.
     Aim (E) can be a noun - butvisées - or a verb - braquerpointerviser.

4...............Ancien (F) vs Ancient (E)

Ancien (F) can mean old in the sense of not young as well as in the sense of former: mon ancien professeur - my old (former) teacher, mon professeur ancien - my old (aged) teacher
     Ancient (E) means antique or très vieux.

5..............animation (F) vs animation (E)

animation (F) is much more general in French than in English. In addition to animation, life, liveliness, it can also refer to cultural or sports activities as well as leadership.
     animation (E) means animation or vivacité.

6..................ntique (F) vs Antique (E)

Antique (F) as an adjective means antique or ancient. As a noun, it refers to antiquity orclassical art/style.
     Antique (E) means the same an adjective, but as a noun it refers to une antiquitéun objet d'art ancien, or un meuble ancien.

7...............Are (French) vs Are (English)

Are (F) refers to an area of one hundred square meters.
     Are (E) is a conjugation of "to be" (être): we are (nous sommes), you are (vous êtes), they are (ils sont).

8................Arriver (F) vs Arrive (E)

Arriver (F) can mean to arrive or to happen, while arriver à + verb means to succeed indoing or to manage to do something.
     Arrive (E) is translated by arriver.

9..................Avertissement (F) vs Advertisement (E)

Avertissement (F) is a warning or caution, from the verb avertir - to warn.
     Advertisement (E) is une publicité, une réclame, or un spot publicitaire

10.Quitter (F) vs Quit (E)

Quitter (F) is a semi-false cognate: it means both to leave and to quit (to leave something for good).
     Quit (E) often means to leave something for good and is translated by quitter. When it means to quit (stop) doing something, it is translated by arrêter de: I need to quit smoking - Je dois arrêter de fumer

Office (F) vs Office (E)

Office (F) is a semi-false cognate. In addition to the meanings below, it can refer to duties, church services or prayers, or a pantry.
     Office (E) can mean the physical place where one works as well as the office or position that someone holds.

12.................Raide (F) vs Raid (E)

Raide (F) is the French adjective for stifftaut, orsteep.
     Raid (E) is the English noun for un raid or uneincursion.

13........................................................! 
                      Rang (F) vs Rang (E)

Rang (F) is a rowline, or rank. In Canadian French, it can be a country road.
     Rang (E) is the past participle of ring - sonner.

14......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ours (F) vs Ours (E)

Ours (F) is a bear.
     Ours (E) is 

There are a  hundred more but for now, IAM TIRED.!  ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫  

!!!!

rot

in French means burp.

en anglais cela signifie pourrir.

Crayon

rate

In French, this means "miss".