French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Can anyone please explain  the different usages of:-

'plus jamais' / 'jamais plus' - 'plus rien' / 'rien plus'

I am VERY confused over this

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could you give examples, please ? It will help ! The only one that doesn't exist is : "rien plus". It doesn't mean anything.
"Plus jamais" and "jamais plus" means the same, it's just a matter of context. "Plus jamais" is the normal way to say "never again / nevermore", whereas "jamais plus" sounds more literary. But few examples would be useful since "plus jamais" can be -sometimes- translated with "forever". As for "plus rien", it could be translated with "anything else" or "no more" or "anymore".

Ah thank you Cath - the examples came from a French grammar Book 'French Sentance Builder', but your French has to be pretty good to understand the lessons.......(better than mine anyway ) It was a 'gap-fill' excercise using double negatives - here are there answers:-

Nous n'irons jamais plus nager dans le lac quand il fera froid

Nous ne ferons plus jamais d'aussi grosses betises

I wondered if it was a 'tense' thing - plus jamais = future, jamais plus = past?

You're welcome, Linda. Actually I'm French ;-) Don't hesitate to contact me if you need other explanations.

Oh thank you SO much Cath - I am 'swimming against the tide' a little - having finished my education in Wales - I never took French as a subject at school beyond 1 year - VERY basic, I now live in France and am having to learn the hard way - reading, watching tv, murdering the language in everyday conversation, and reading books/listening to cd's alone etc. I think that I now need formal lessons, but can't afford them.......it is the finer points as this that really get me without explanation. This is the first time that I have used this site, so not sure how it works - novice all round really............

Linda, I was thinking that you maybe meant "rien de plus" instead of "rien plus" (the one I told you it doesn't mean anythg). "Rien DE plus" does exist and can be translated : "nothing else".

Ah yes - maybe - rien DE plus' nothing else/nothing more. As I explained I live in France, my partner is French, but as I spoke no French at all when we met. (I knew no verbs and only about 10-20 nouns plus some phrases - 'je ne sais pas', je ne peux pas parler francais', 'c'est combien?' 'quelle heure et il?') Therefore we began our relationship in English and once a couple have begun in one language, it is very difficult to change, plus he is a man and lazy and it is easier to speak in English than explain the 'whys and wherefores' of French grammar. Also I shelved teaching myself French for a long time, in order to get to grips with the culture/history/lifestyle etc which I realised was more important than language if I wanted to integrate and survive! Also, I teach English as a job, so do not get a lot of opportunity to speak French at work, and my closest friends' are former students, so all speak good English......you could ask 'why bother learning?' but I feel so inaquate........any English that you want clearing up, I will be more than happy to help, as, as I said I teach it at quite a high level in 5 schools of nursing (IFSI) at Paris (I am a former Registered Nurse)

Hi again Linda ! I can't read your complete answer(s) because it/they go(-es) on your own pages :-/ ("Linda Ann replies Linda Ann"). You can ask me as a friend on FB, I think it will be more convenient to chat about French linguistics. Look for "catherine aubier-Reims", I will accept ! And if you agree, you'll help me with English ? FYI English is my favourite foreign language and I'm dying to improve my level !

OK Cath - good idea - will do that.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service