French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I have come across the idiom 'cautere sur une jambe de bois', which I understand and can be translated as 'as much use as a poultice on a wooden leg' ie it refers to something completely redundant... but this translation is pretty stilted in English, and I am having a mental block about a more fluent English idiom, any ideas anyone?

Thanks again...

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In French, this expression is pretty stilted to. Actually, it's the first time I've heard it.

In some context, you can translate it by "to fight a loosing/running battle" (I'm not sure what the right word is)

After some research, I've found those expressions :

- beat the wind

- words writ on water

- a waste of time

The french casual expression that can match is un coup d'épée dans l'eau

Hi, here 'fight a losing battle' could work. a 'running battle' is when you have an ongoing problem with the same old thing. Thanks for the other suggestions too.
I hadn't heard of this expression before, but I wonder if "chocolate teapot" would work?
Yes I like that expression, hadn't thought of it at all, but will use it, so thanks very much.
I don't think 'chocolate teapot' is appropriate. The phrase is associated to useless items while 'cautere sur une jambes de bois" qualifies an action and is always used with either derision or anger. I won't find such background in 'chocolate teapot'
That's an interesting point.... but if you don't perceive "chocolate teapot" as involving derision (I thought it usually did?), do you have a closer phrase in mind?
Sure, 'chocolate teapot' is derisive. Actually 'a poultice on a wooden leg' is closed to be the best match. It uses the same old fashion medical vocabulary as the French phrase 'cautere sur une jambe de bois'. It denotes a vain action. It is dated and used by aged educated people.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service