French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

On a trip to France just a couple of weeks ago we saw a sign on a river bank that read "SAUF SERVICES ET AYANTS DROITS".  Can anyone explain what this means?  Thanks

Views: 2319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Harry.

This sign means that only authorized people can enter the area.

Services designates the companies which manages the riverbanks' site.

Ayant droits designates the people who are authorised to take this road to access the river, for example the ones who own little boats or little houses by the riverside.

In the South I've also seen SAUF RIVERAINS. Not a word you'd hear often in conversation.
Although I think "riverain" is more common in French than e.g. "riparian" in English. Incidentally, as far as I'm aware the word "riverain" is standard French-- not necessarily restricted to the south.
I'm sure you're right, Neil. I didn't mean to imply that the word belongs to the langue d'oc, just that I personally haven't seen it elsewhere.
You're right about the biggest frequency of riverain compared to riparian, Neil, especially because our riverain is not the exact equivalent of your riparian. While your word concerns something or someone near a river of other water bodies, the french riverain, while retaining this basal meaning, nowadays designates far more often the inhabitants of a given street. You can indeed see roadsigns into towns indicating accès/stationnement réservé aux riverains.
I'd also add that riparian is an adjective, whereas riverain is a noun.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service