French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi folks,

In the movie Patton, starring george c scott. He used the french phrase ladass. ;adass. toujours ladass!

I am sure that I don;t have the spelling of the word Ladass correct and without the correct spelling I can't get the translation which is what I would like to have. Any ideas?

Views: 2986

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Ladass" isn't a word AFAIK.

I didn't watch this movie, but it might be "La DAS" that sounds the same as what you wrote.

La DAS (or La D.A.S.) is an organisation that takes care of abandonned children.
I also wondered if it was l'audace (though again... whether this makes sense or not in that particular film, I'm not sure-- I've not seen it either).
I don't speak French other than the basics you learn in high school in America but to answer this question on Patton's use of "La das" he was quoting Frederick the Great. Patton was ordering one of his corp commanders (Lucien Smith)into a battle where they would be heavily out numbered but they needed that travel way cleared and when questioned how did Patton expect them to win the battle and complete the mission in the specified time he replied "La das, la das, tojuor la das" which translates into "Audacity, audacity, always audacity"
Thanks for the reference -- in that case, it is indeed the word l'audace that I mentioned above :)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service