French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi,

I have to write an oral about the future and my predictions in 2050...

I have a number of 'abstract' ideas I want to express...but in simple phrasings; for example, I want to say

-'designer babies' (the concept of genetically altering the human genome to produce desired features) in french- I will only mention it very briefly and would like to know the french equivalent...

-'green policies' - I want to mention that there will be an increase in 'green' or environmentally friendly policies

- 'rise in carbon emissions' and 'rise in sea levels'

-'virtual reality' or more specifically, 'augmented reality' (projecting an interacting interface onto real life objects)

also i'd like to say something along the lines of
"universal wireless internet"

thank you!!

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some of these actually translate more or less literally.

For "designer babies", you can talk about bébés sur mesure, for example see this article from Le Monde that talks about "la clinique des bébés sur mesure": http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2010/07/31/la-clinique-des-be...

For "green", you can usually use either "écologique", or in fact "vert" works in a similar sense to English, so you can actually say "des politiques vertes".

For "rise in carbon emissions", again you can fairly literally say une hausse/augmentation des émissions de carbone.

The phrase "virtual reality" is translated literally: réalité virtuelle, as is réalité augmentée. As a tip, with technological terms, it's always worth Googling the literal translation and seeing if it's actually used.

For the last one you could say simply "wifi universel", "wifi pour tous" (or I suppose "Internet sans fil universel" if you want to spell it out) etc, depending on exactly what point you want to emphasise.

thanks for the suggestions!
how do i say 'emissions tradiing scheme?'
'emissions d'import-export plan?'

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service