French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I would appreciate help with this, as I can't move on until I understand (!) it.

Why is it "comprends" in " Je ne comprends jamais pourquoi"? but "comprendre" in " Je ne peux jamais comprendre" ?

I thought both would be "comprends", as they both start " Je ne........"

Thank you for an explanation.

Views: 435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Graham,

Comprendre is the infinitive of the verb, which correctly comes after 'je ne peux jamais....'  I can never understand.  When you put that extra bit, je ne peux jamais.... it takes the infinitive afterwards. But 'je comprends' is the first person singular, when you just say 'I understand' (or  je ne comprends jamais, in the above sentence!).

Hope this explains things for you!   Jackie

Jackie,

Thank you for the answer. It is becoming clearer now.

Best wishes

We have compound verbs in English, too, that are constructed with the infinitive:

I like TO swim

I want TO learn French

I hope TO travel

It's just a kink that we don't say I can TO understand. One of those things that we do to confuse people learning our language.

in french the subject pronoun i.e. je makes the verb it immediately precedes agree with it, i.e. the verb conjugates, pouvoir becomes peux. The  next verb that comes immediately after the first verb is always in the infinitive (unchanged form) comprendre.

Thank you. That is very helpful.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service