French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Singe appears to be the only way to translate monkey and ape. How can I distinguish an ape linguistically? (singe sans queue?)

Views: 4091

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked this up in my big dictionary and it says an ape is a 'grand singe'. 
Using slightly scientific language, you can use the term singe anthropoïde (or just anthropoïde).
Sometimes we simply use "Primate". (Even if "primates" define a wider group than "singes")

"Grands singes" is used as a generic term for: gorilles, chimpanzés (communs ou bonobos), hommes (!) and orangs-outans.
I don't know if that list matches with "ape".
Thank you all! Grand singe suits the context very well, according to Benoit's list as well as the dictionary -- I am reviewing a book (in French) about the creatures that are drawn in the margins of medieval manuscripts, often engaged in lewd behavior, or "aping" (singer) human activities; apes abound = anthropides without tails -- because their exposed anus makes for better obscenity; so monkey does not work, and I think the authors should have used "grands singes".   ( I'll look at Terry Pratchett for fun).

We seldom make the different in french between ape and monkey.

As said before, the french term for ape is "anthropïde". But it is not used in common language.

You can search for french translation of the Discoworld, written by Terry Pratchett. One of the character is an orang utang, and get mad when called a monkey, since he is an ape.

The pun is efficient in english, but in french it is harder to translate it. But the translator has done a very good job, so there might be some way to help you.

I don't know how it was actually translated, but it strikes me that "je suis anthropoïde" could actually work quite well-- with the use of scientific language it emphasises the idea of making a distinction that is "too ridiculously finicky for everyday needs".
Actually, the character is a "complete" orang utang. Therefore, it can only say "Ook". But maybe other characters refer to him as "un anthropoide" or something else, I can't remember

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service