French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

La séance se déroulait au MK2 Gambetta, en face de la mairie du XXème arrondissement

I sort of understand it, but i'm not sure what MK2 Gambetta refers to... is this a place? A theatre? A suburb?

Views: 767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MK2 Gambetta is movie theater in Paris.
thank you! Although this is irrelevant to the topic, could you please also check if there are any outstanding errors with this sentence:
Le film qui paraît d’être comme un documentaire mais une fiction.   

The sentence is not correct.

You would probably want to say Le film semble plus être un documentaire qu'une fiction which means The film seems to be more a documentary than a fiction movie.

Thank you,

I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake again. Was the original error with structure, word choice and improper use of preposition de along with the incorrect use of mais?

The whole structure is incorrect. You can't say "paraît d'être comme".

You want to compare the movie to  a style of movie so you need to say something like "...plus...que...".

If you want to use "mais" you could say Le film a été tourné comme un documentaire mais pas comme une fiction. But it's a bit odd.

I guess if you really want the "mais" towards the end, you could save your last example something like this: Le film a été tourné non pas comme un documentaire mais (plutôt) comme une fiction.

I think I prefer the simpler versions, though. Maybe even: Le film ressemble plus/plutôt à un documentaire qu'à une fiction.

Your sentence with mais is better than mine. I'm agree with you, the simpler version is less formal.
Because I am comparing one thing to another, that it appears more of something, could I use this structure of say
"[object] semble plus etre [objec] qu'une [object]?"

You can use that kind of syntax.

e.g. Cela ne semble plus être aussi simple qu'avant.

With the affirmative voice, you should say semble être plus.

e.g. Monsieur X semble être plus grand que monsieur Y.

Sorry if I am replying too much, but i am unsure how to say, for example X empathizes with X.
i've found:
"se comprendre ce que ressent quelqu'un"

what's the french equivalent of empathize?

You could say avoir de l'empathie pour
does this template work?
[sentence 1], par exemple [ideas], auquel est toujours d’actualité.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service