French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi.

Can someone help me with this translation, please? The sentence in question is: "La distinction entre quoi et la conjonction quoique (qui en est d'ailleurs issue) ne s'est établie que dans le cours du XVIIIe s."I can understand most of the sentence; it's the bit in parentheses that's giving me trouble. I know that être issu de means " to be derived from" so I think the clause means something like " which is derived from elsewhere" but then the en seems superfluous. Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Almost! The "en" means "from 'quoi'"-- in other words, what the sentence is saying is that "quoique" is derived from "quoi que".

Ah, so in this case d'ailleurs doesn't mean "from elsewhere" but something like "incidentally"?
d'ailleurs is a tricky one. It's normal translation is besides, but quite often I translate it, in context, as by the way.
Upon further thought -- if I was translating for a client who was happy to accept a free translation, I think I'd render the parenthetical phrase as (which of course is derived from it).

To me, the principle of free translation is to arrive at a text which is what an English writer would have written to express the idea in a sentence. It always flows well but isn't necessarily very faithful to the original. Thus it isn't generally acceptable in technical translation. OK, lecture over.
Thanks for your help, Stu and Neil. It now makes sense.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service