French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi.

I've discovered the Web site for "Le Tresor de la Langue Française informatisé" and find it very useful, but I can't find a list of the abbreviations used in the entries. Does anyone know if such a list is available anywhere on line?

Views: 1231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here a some abbreviations :

subst : substantif

masc : masculin

verbe trans: verbe tansitif

verbe intrans : verbe instransitif

adj. : adjectif

masc. : masculin

fém. : féminin

loc. : locution.

adv. : adverbe.

lat. latine

part. prés. : participe présent

part. passé. : participe passé

verbe pronom : verbe pronominal

suff. : suffixe.

préf : préfixe

interj. : interjection

If you find others you don't understand don't hesitate to ask

Thanks very much, Erwan. The abbreviations that I couldn't understand appear in this part of the entry for âne:

Prononc. ET ORTH.  1. Forme phon. : []. Enq. : /an, D/. 2. Hist.  Tous les dict. de prononc. de la fin du XVIIIe s. et du XIXe s. précisent que la 1re syllabe est longue; DGtranscrit  (= [] post. long). FÉR. Crit. t. 1 1787 et LAND. 1834 rappellent que : ,,on écrivait autrefois asne`` (cf. aussi BESCH. 1845, Lar. 19e, Nouv. Lar. ill. et ROB.). Lar. 19réserve encore une vedette de renvoi à l'anc. forme asne.

The three I'm interested in are Enq., D and post.

Thanks again

I'm sorry but I didn't find what they mean. Enq. and post. seem to be abbreviations only used by the TLFI. I don't think that D was one of them.

The only thing I've found is this : http://kolote.info/IMG/pdf/tlfi.pdf You'll find some of them page 16.

May be you should email the contact adress in order to have an aswer.

Good luck.

OK. Thanks anyway, Erwan.

Usually slant brackets /.../ are used to record the phonemic form of a word: that is, if you had to break the speakers' representation of the word down into its minimal "sound building blocks", what those might be. Here, I suspect that the "D" is actually supposed to be a schwa, and it's saying "the representation is either /an/ or /an/ with a shwa at the end".

That said, the [] brackets that linguists use to represent phonetic representation and the // brackets used for phonemic representation are widely misused or confused in dictionaries, so it's probably best just to see them as meaning "some kind of representation of the sound of the word".

"Enq" is a bit bizarre -- it may well be worth seeing if you can get clarification from the publishers as Erwan suggests. The only thing I could think it might be is either the abbreviation of the author/source work suggesting this pronunciation/phonemic representation (no actual author springs to mind), or else if the compilers conducted some kind of survey of pronunciation, it could stand for "Enquête" (="Survey").

Thanks for your suggestions, Neil. It's strange that the publishers, having gone to the trouble of putting this valuable work on the Internet, didn't think to provide a key to the abbreviations used. I have e-mailed their contact address and hopefully will get a helpful response.
It seems that they sell a CD. May be the list of the abbreviations is on it!
Yes, could be!

I had the same problem of not finding a list of abbreviations, so I've done a little more research.

Enq does indeed appear to refer to une enquête.  On the TLFi page at the atilf site, if you click on En savoir plus, you can see the links to the prefaces, and the first preface describes the project to supplement the pronunciation information with the results from a survey, which in the event, for cost reasons, was reduced to the students at the École des Mines de Nancy.  The preface also mentions a following note technique, which would answer our questions, but does not appear on the web.  

Under the entry for âne, the abbrevation post. represents postérieur, to describe how the DG represents an a postérieur long.  

Which still leaves open the question of the D, whether it indicates a pronounced "mute" e, or something else.   

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service