French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Just a month ago, I was walking in rue des Rosiers, the Jewish quarters in Marais.

I stopped by a wineshop looking at something very familar, but very strange!

In the window two bottles of an expensive Judean Hills redwine were displayed, between these two  three small flags:

the Norwegian, the French and the Union Jack

I have never seen Norway associated with winemaking, what do you think could be the purpose of this display?

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You mean you associate Great Britain with winemaking?
Oh my god ! ^^
Sorry for this "arrogant French remark", but it was so tempting (can't help myself)...

By the way, I have no idea about the association with Norway (even odder than with GB).

Question: How do you translate "non plus", for example in "Je n'ai pas non plus la moindre idée"? "neither"?

In some contexts, either would be better than neither.

I have no idea either.

Moi non plus all on its own gets us into a controversy. Me neither is the correct expression but the vernacular Me either is gaining popularity. Personally I hate it.

Stu -- I wonder if that's just US usage. In UK English I think it would generally be me neither (or I don't either)-- at least, that's what I've always heard.
Yes, it is US. However, past experience shows that the more deplorable corruptions of the language travel Eastwards across the Atlantic with remarkable speed.
Many thanks !

I'll try to remember to use "Me neither" instead of the dreadful "Me either".
I don't like neither (either?... Goddamn it! It's not easy...) certain "popularized" expressions.

I agree with the neither/either distinction being made here. 

There is, however, a further option in translating this phrase, namely:

Je n'ai pas non plus la moindre idée.

I haven't the faintest/slightest idea either.

This brings the adjectival part of the phrase (i.e. moindre) to the fore. I suggest this because I think there is an alternative for no idea:

Moi, je n'ai aucune idée non plus.

I have no idea either.

Thanks, I'll remember both "slightest idea" and "bring to the fore"...
Paris, Marais, Rue des Rosiers

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service