French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I was watching an episode of NCIS, and the medical examiner used a term I am unfamiliar with. Could you help with the spelling and meaning. I'm sorry, I can only type it phonetically, as I recall..."of a certain jenee say qua..."     Thanks for any help you can offer!  JB

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a VERY well-known expression, adopted into the English language and known by many people who know no actual French.

It's "Je ne sais quoi" and its literal meaning is I don't know what. I would translate it, if I had to, as A certain indefinable something.

Merci beaucoup!

"je ne sais quoi"  is a fairly common phrase used in english, literally it means "I don't know what", and it basically is used to say "it has a certain characteristic I can;t name, but makes it unique/special/noteworthy". hope that helps, and you can google the correct spelling for a better understanding of the term. ^_^

oops, didnt notice someone had already replied, lol! oh well

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service