French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I stayed in Paris for one week in April last.

I returned to the same hotel in October, also for one week.
On the third day, in the evening, I returned late. The receptionist was one who recognized me from my last stay, he stood up with a big smile and shaked my hands and said something "ca va´´´" .... something :-)

I also remembered him very soon, but failed to say something. Luckily I shaked hands with him and smiled --
I now have a good friend in Paris, but he is talking english poorly :-(

Questions:

A)
What do you say when you meet a good friend you dont have seen on a long time in France?

(B)
Feel free to correct my english ... I am in a learning process from norsk to english....)

Views: 2023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, with due respect, this is not a good friend -- it's somebody you have a commercial/business relationship with who is acting friendly, and good for him.

So for a start, this person is VOUS, not TU. Do you have two words for you in Norwegian? Nothing special is required in the circumstances. Bonsoir, vous allez bien? would be sufficient.
a)
Please explain :
"this person is VOUS, not TU"

b)
"Do you have two words for you in Norwegian?"

du and De ?

Ok, earlier that day, I observed two elder Parisiens, they met and greeted each other with a big smile and a warm handshake. The said something like "ca va´´´"

The guy at the hotel acted also just like that....

Someone who knows what this ca va could be?
In the "French grammar" section of this website you will find an explanation of "When to use 'tu' and 'vous'?" (I'm French and I found this explanation very clear and well done)

"Ca va ?" or "Comment allez-vous ?" (or "Comment vas-tu ?") means "How are you?"
You can answer:
"Bien, merci. Et Vous ?" (or "Bien, merci. Et toi ?")

Yes a polite but casual way to reply to Ca va is definitely "Ca va bien, merci, et toi?" or simply, "Ca va" as a reply - it can be both a question and a reply. Examples:

More Formal:

Person A: "Bonjour Monsieur, Comment allez-vous?" (literally, "Hello Sir, How are you?")
Person B: "Bonjour! Tres bien merci, et vous?" ("Hello! Very well thanks, and you?")

More Casual:

Person A: "Salut! Ca va?" ("Hi! How are you?")

Person B: "Salut! Ca va bien merci, et toi?"(Hi!, I'm well thanks, and you?")

Alternate response for Person B: "Salut! Ca va, et toi?" (Hi!, I'm well, and you?")

You can see in the above examples (the casual forms are how I speak with my family and would speak to friends) that ca va can be a question and response. If neither of you are very talkative the question and response would be understandable as simply:

Person A: "Ca va?" ("You're well?")

Person B: "Ca va" ("I'm well")

Just so people have the link to the section on when to use 'tu' and 'vous'.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service