French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi.

I've come across the following sentence in a French dictionary of pronunciation, where the authors are referring to some earlier works. The sentence reads: "Nous citerons seulement les deux plus récents", and they go on to cite the works in question. Now, I would have expected the sentence to read: "Nous en citerons seulement les deux les plus récents", because (1)  I thought "en" had to be inserted before the verb when quantities are referred to and (2) because "les deux plus récents" really stands for "les deux ouvrages les plus récents". Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,
(1) "en" is not concerned with quantities, but with origins, with the intention of avoiding repetitions.
Having employed "en" here would just have accentued where our quotes come from. But it is correct not to add it, because we know what we are talking about (the two most recent).
It would be different if we didn't know the subject : Nous venons de la cuisine -> Nous en venons (we add "en" because "nous venons" wouldn't include the origin of our move)
(2) I don't really know how to explain it... In English, don't you say "the two most recent" and not "the two the most recent" ? It is similar in French.

Hope it would help.
Thanks for your reply.
actually when the verb uses the preposition "de" you can replace the complement with "en", the thing you need to know are the verbs using "de" in French. In your sentence it is even easier to understand as "venir de" is "to come from" so je viens De la cuisine or j'en viens
Je veux DES tomates = j'en veux
J'ai besoin de mon livre = j'en ai besoin
so anytime you have "de", you can use "en"
Nous citerons seulement les plus récent (from a group of more) and because of "from" which is "de" in French, you will use "en": nous en citerons...
Thanks for your reply.
"Nous en citerons seulement les deux les plus récents"

It's not correct...

'Nous citerons seulement les deux plus récents'

'Nous en citerons seulement que quelques uns' (but in this case, we don't know how much)

'Nous ne citerons seulement que les deux plus récents'

make your choice...
Thanks for your reply.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service