French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hm.. Call me Gheala, which means 'Ice' in Romanian, I suppose. This is my very first visit to the discussion board, and the whole website to begin with.
Let's say I love English the most, but I find French very interesting and easy to learn and so I'm trying my luck with it and I'm improving. I've started studying it on my own two months ago and I think I'm doing slightly well.
Here is a little something, which I don't know how grammatically right it is...

Je ne sais pas beaucoup plus Français, mais je l'aime. J’espère que vous allez m’aider..

How was that? >.< I think I got it right.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very close, actually. I believe the second sentence would use a subjunctive phrase, making: J'espère que vous alliez m'aider.
By the way -- there's no need for the subjunctive in this case.
Oh, is that because it's the futur proche?
Thanks a lot ^^ So, it'll stay as it is? Je suis contente! <-- Is that correct? Lol
Generally, there's no need for the subjunctive with espérer, whichever tense you use (though it's also true that the subjunctive is a bit less common with aller used to denote the future).

You will hear espérer used with the subjunctive, but it's quite normal to use the indicative (and if anything, prescriptive opinion actually prefers it -- the use of the subjunctive is something of a "hypercorrection" from that point of view).
C'est très bien.

But in French, you don't use capital letters when you're talking about languages.

So your sentence you'd be: Je ne sais pas beaucoup plus de français, mais je l'aime (or: mais j'aime cette langue).

The second sentence is totally perfect, good for someone who start learning two months ago :o
If you're interested in practicing your French with a native speaker, you may write back to me in this discussion.

Bye bye ;)
Merci! :D
Hm... J'ai étudié des quelques livres en français, après ma diplôme.
o.o Did that sound right? Thanks, Vicky, I'm grateful that you're offering help. Tu est très gentile :)

Thank you!
Almost :-) Don't use des with quelques.
Oh, and diplôme is masculine.
Alrighty. Then, it's: J'ai étudié quelques livres en français, après mon diplôme.

Thanks, Neil :)
You are welcome :) *Tu es très gentille.* I think it's easy to make sentences in French that people can understand. However, it's different when you're trying to make perfect sentences from a grammatical point of view, isn't it ?
Yes, it is. But thing is I knew it was 'tu es', but I was writing too fast >.< Lol

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service