French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Can someone tell me what this phrase from Un Coup d'Etat says;

avait attendu que sa femme en eut aussi pour venir trouver le medcin,

Thanks

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

la phrase complète est "le mari, atteint de varices depuis sept ans, avait attendu que sa femme en eût aussi pour venir trouver le médecin"

le sens de cette phrase est que, le marie qui n'avait pas un bon santé n'avait pas visité le médecin jusqu'a sa femme aussi doit y visiter..

The meaning is that the husband who had some disease had not visited the doctor till his wife had to visit him..
Here's the complete sentence, in "free" translation:

The husband, who had suffered from varicose veins for seven years, waited until his wife also developed them before going to the doctor.

I can't explain why the subjunctive form eût is used here, rather than the perfect tense avait.
Thanks, now it makes sense.
"I can't explain why the subjunctive form eût is used here, rather than the perfect tense avait."

If a sentence the first part is in the past the "eut" is NOT the passé simple but the imparfait du subjonctif. True that is confusing and they do look similar.

In spoken speech maybe someone could say "avait" but here in français littéraire the imparfait du subjonctif is a prerequisite.

Tamy
Are you sure speakers would ever use the indicative (avait) here? The essential difference is that everyday French would use the present subjunctive (...qu'il en ait), but it would still be a subjunctive surely?

In answer to the question of why the subjunctive, there are two kinds of answers:
(1) "just because it is" -- that's what speakers do with attendre que...; why in English do people say "I tried doing it" but not usually "I attempted doing it"...?
(2) if you want to try and be a bit more analytical, you could point to the "snapshotting" function of the subjunctive (like the English constructions "for X to Y", "X Ying") -- although this is philosophising to a large extent -- the bottom line is that speakers do what they do...

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service