French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Translation phrase for "a moment of enlightenment or truth"

Can anyone help me with a common phrase meaning  "a moment of enlightenment or truth"

Views: 1160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Am I being simplistic with:-

un moment d'éclaircissement ou vérité.
phonetically, something like: day-nu-mon ?
There's a word dénouement, occasionally used in English, but this really means "end", "solution" (as in "an end to the crisis", or "the play's ending was surprising"). I'm not so sure about the interpretation of "moment of enlightenment" as such-- I suppose very occasionally that might work, but it's not the basic meaning of the word.
Surely dénouement literally means untying the knot -- so figuratively, it's the moment of resolution of a problem, conflict, crisis... and this is its normal usage.
Mmmmaybe -- but I'm not sure things actually happened that way round (i.e. I'm not sure that dénouement is really used much in any "literal" sense of untying -- I think it just derives directly from dénouer already in its figurative sense).
How about 'épiphanie'

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service