French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Could someone please explain the meaning of the following French phrases

1- qui-vive ;  I have seen it in two situations one in which someone calls out: "Qui-vive?"  and also in the phrase :  "sur le qui-vive"

2 -  J’ai une tête de Cendrillon ?

3- Un tout petit peu à poil. As in the sentence : comme ça il ne la verra pas un tout petit peu à poil quand il prendra son petit déjeuner.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. This phrase has actually been borrowed into English. Webster has both of the usages you mention -- Qui vive? is a sentry's "Who goes there?" and sur le qui-vive is "on the alert."

2. I'm not sure about that one. Cendrillon is Cinderella.

3. A poil means naked -- literally, "dressed only in body hair." Un tout petit peu à poil seems obviously coy, since you can't be a little bit naked any more than a little bit pregnant. "So then he won't see her semi-nude at breakfast time."
Thank you that's very helpful.
Re the Cinderella one, I thiiink the intended meaning would be something like "Do I look like Cinderella or something?", i.e. "Do you think I'm your slave?".
Thanks Neil. Yes that makes perfect sense in the context of the story it appeared in.
qui-vive ,it means who or password for soldiers;
J’ai une tête de Cendrillon ,which means that someone's haircut is ordinary,not fashion.
I am not so sure ,welcome for correction .

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service