French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

this may seem a little strange, but there's a line of lyrics from a song that i have been trying to translate into french for a really long time.

the line is "burn it down and walk away" (as in a command for someone to burn down a structure and then walk away from it).

it's been a few years since i took any kind of french classes, and here's the best i've come up with: "incendiez-la et marchez loin" - that's a polite command though, and i'm trying to figure out a familiar command. "incendies-la et marches loin" - is that even slightly correct?

my boyfriend was thinking of getting the french translation as a tattoo, so i just want to make sure i have it right.

thank you so much!

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My suggestion would be Brules-le et fous le camp, which is vernacular and more like Burn it and get the hell out.
For "burn it down" you can say "incendies la/le", "brûles la/le" or "mets(-y) le feu". And for "and walk away" you can say "et vas-t'en" or "et fous le camp" (like Stu said). I don't think it sounds that great in French, it sounds better in English to me.
Isabelle -- how about "mets le feu et casse-toi!"?
lol yeah good suggestion! It sounds pretty good to say that actually :)
thanks so much for the suggestions, you guys!!! i really appreciate it :)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service