French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I know that in general French names are not pluralized. So to refer to several people with the same name--DuClos--it would be Les DuClos. But when one wishes to do it in English what is correct? The
DuClos seems to convey only one person like "The Donald" because the word the can't indicate a plural in English as it does in French. Of course, one could say "The DuClos Family", but that isn't quite comparable.
What does one write? Someone wrote The DuCloses which seems sort of like chalk screeching on a black board. Gotta be something better. Isn't there?

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a rare case in English. I agree that DuCloses is awful, but other names ending in s are ok, like "The Harrises."

In written English I guess I'd write The Duclos'
I think you have a couple of options:

- just write "The Duclos", and rely on the reader to intuit that in this case it is plural and the fnal -s is pronounced;
- write it as "The Duclos's", which looks horrible, but makes it clear that the final -s is to be pronounced.

The problem with writing "Ducloses" is that it implies that both s's are pronounced.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service