French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

lol prq tt ces questions? té qui dabord?

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Obviously this is from internet chat, full of abbreviations and deliberately atrocious grammar. In English it's:

LOL why all these Qs? And who ru anyway?
This is not proper French, but French as written by teenagers, known as kikoolol. But this one is rather easy.

LOL = LOL
prq = pourquoi (why)
tt = toutes (all)
té = t'es (you are)
dabord = d'abord (to start with)
and mais dis moi stp tu l connais comment??
stp = S'il te plaît (please)
l = le / la / les

Please tell me how you met him/her/them
salut tout le monde ...j'espere rencontrer des gens serieux et surtout pas des frimeurs...menteurs...!!

I know part this one says Good day everyone... and to meet serious not sure of the rest...Im sorry, I know no French.
Hi folks. I hope to meet responsible people and not liars or people who're just here to show off.
Frank's version is perfectly fine, and it brings up a more general point of interest. There's no present continuous tense in French.

I'd prefer "I'm hoping to meet...." because that's what we'd write in English.
There's no present continuous tense in French.

There is. It's the infamous être en train de (+ infinitive).

But isn't not as frequent as in English and doesn't apply to the same situations.

Je suis en train d'espérer ... (a literal translation of "Im hoping to meet...") would rather mean that you're really dying for it to happen.
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure "en train de" is really a present continuous. Isn't "Je suis en train de..." just the equivalent of "I'm in the process of..."?

Of course we'd never say "I'm in the process of hoping...." in either language.
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure "en train de" is really a present continuous. Isn't "Je suis en train de..." just the equivalent of "I'm in the process of..."?

Hi Stu,

Yes, "en train de" is roughly equivalent to "be in the process of", so this is some kind of a present continuous.

But English seems uses this tense for a wider range of situation that we do in French.
Agreed. For English speakers, a rough guide is that en train de... is appropriate (though not necessarily required) when in English you'd say in the middle of....

(The French phrase en cours is slightly closer to the idea of in the process of, although clearly the concepts are similar.)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service