French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Some one help me with the english translation  of  "échéances électorales" 

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This might be electoral reckoning, but I hope one of the native French speakers will respond.
I think that "electoral reckoning" means "Décompte électoral" (when you count votes, am I right?), which is not the same thing than "échéances électorales".
Unfortunatly I have a "survival" level in English (according to my former English teacher) and that's not enough to be able to explain "échéances électorales"...
I was thinking of a more metaphorical meaning of "reckoning," more like "a chance to get even."
I'm not sure to understand "a chance to get even"...

By the way I will try an explanation of "échéances électorals":
One of the meanings of "échéance" is "end of a period".
By extension "échéances électorals" means "Elections that trigger the end of a current mandat (any kind of mandat: president, senateur, député, maire etc.) and the begining of a new one". Or simpler version, it means "élections"...

2 remarks:
- So in France, the "échéances électorales 2012" are the next presidential elections (presidential are the only "échéances" in 2012).
- Instead of "échéances électorales", most of time you can use "élections". For example: "Les prochaines échéances électorales" and "les prochaines élections" have almost the same meaning...
Oh, Ha-ha I was totally on the wrong track then. Merci Benoit.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service