French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi folks,

Please shed me some light on my work:-

Précédemment J'avais suivi le cours français inclusion des cours français en ligne. Selon mon avis leus standard convient de parler à bâtons rompus comme en les voyages. Cependant mon but en apprenant le français n'est pas limité à une telle standard. Je compte réaliser le français professionnel d'écriture

Previously I have been attending French course including online French courses. According to my opinion their standard is suitable for casual conversation such as in traveling. However my aim in learning French is NOT limited to such a standard. I expect to achieve writing professional French.

B.R.
SL

Views: 1627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Frank,

[quote]
"Connaissance" is almost always plural (hey, you already made that mistake more than once, Stephen).
[/quote]
Oh sorry. Here I have some confusion. I was talking one kind of knowledge, the 'French", but NOT all knowledges. Whether disregarding one kind or multiple knowledges, plural form must always be used?

{quote]
(just nitpicking here, but in order to talk about "connaissances" sinking in, you can use "acquis" - the infinitive form si "acquérir" - instead of "accumuler" : après avoir acquis des connaissances en français...)
[/quote]
Is there any difference in meaning on these 2 words? Thanks

B.R.
SL
Hello Stephen,

The singular form is sometimes used, but rather to say "absolute knowledge". It would be very selfish to talk about oneself and use "la connaissance".

"J'ai des connaissances en maths" => I have some knowledge about mathematics

"J'ai la connaissance des maths" => I know absolutely everything about mathematics. Or maybe not everything, but I made a break through.

--

"accumuler" means to pile on, to stack up. You can "accumuler du travail". So "accumuler des connaissance" makes sense, and you can say it, it'd be perfectly right.
"acquérir" means to buy, to purchase, but also to develop, to gain. And it's commonly used with "connaissances".
Hi Frank,

[quote]
"acquérir" means to buy, to purchase, but also to develop, to gain. And it's commonly used with "connaissances".
[/quote]

Ex.

I decide to improve my English knowledge with determination

Je décide d'améliorer des connaissances anglaise avec la détermination

OR can I use:

Je décide si acquérir des connaissances anglaise avec la détermination

B.R.
SL
Either :

Je décide d'améliorer mes connaissances en anglais avec détermination

or

Je décide d'acquérir des connaissances en anglais avec détermination

Here, if you use "améliorer" it means that you already had some background knowledge, while if you use "acquérir", it means that you started from scratch.

Instead of "avec détermination", you can also use the verb "déterminer":

Je suis déterminé à améliorer mes connaissances en anglais
Hi Frank,

[quote]
Je décide d'améliorer mes connaissances en anglais avec détermination

or

Je décide d'acquérir des connaissances en anglais avec détermination
[/quote]
Can I use "anglais" as adjective by adding "e" at the end?

Je décide d'acquérir des connaissances anglaisE avec détermination

B.R.
SL
Hello Stephen,

This is not an option, because, the adjective can't be used to mean the language itself.

The adjective really means "coming from an English-speaking place".

"Je décide d'acquérir des connaissances anglaises" can be interpreted as:
- I want to meet English people
- I want to learn about English culture

But it doesn't mean than you are interested in the language.

An adjective like "anglais/anglaise/anglaises" should be freely interchangeable with "from UK". If it doesn't work, it means that you should use the noun instead.
Please translate this to English: Ça vas bien!

Please translate this to French: Thank you for all your help.
It just means : "I'm doing well !"
Mostly I will be seeking translations of phrases and words, as I'm communicating with a couple of fellows from Sherbrooke, Quebec, and I am trying to impress them with my willingness to learn French; plus I'm throwing a bit of (what I know of) Hawaiian, having lived there for 6 years. My question this time is: could you please tell me the correct way of saying, "in the near future", as would be the correct way of using that term in French parlance? I'm deeply grateful for your help. Mahalo nui loa!
P.S. I have actually wanted to learn French since I was about 12 years old, but when I entered Junior High School, I got stuck with Deutsch, which is perhaps one of the worst-sounding languages in the civilized world (I sure hope you're not German!).
~cuddybear130 (my internet name)

s
Hello Steve,

Here's how to say "in the near future" in French: "dans un futur proche".

And it's an excellent expression to know, as an alternative to "bientôt" (soon).

Steve, tu semble être très motivé alors tu parleras parfaitement le français dans un futur proche !
Hi Frank,

[quote]
tu semble être très motivé alors tu parleras parfaitement le français dans un futur proche !
[/quote]
You seem to be very motivated. Anyway you will speak French perfectly in the near future

Can "alors" be used to connect these 2 sentences? Then how to translate it to English?

TIA

B.R.
SL
Hey Stephen,

"Alors" can be either "then", or "so". In this case, "alors" stands for "so".

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service