French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I see certain relationship between these two characters in French (both are i, although one is i Greek), similar pronunciation: roi, Geoffroy, etc.

So what's the history related to the usage of these letters? When is i used and when is y used?

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In current usage, "y" is basically not used in these word-final positions, and "i" would be used instead.

However, up until around the 18th century, words such as "lui", "toi", "roi", "ai" etc were written "luy", "toy", "roy", "ay" etc. Hence, for example, the surname "Leroy", or other alternations that you see in names such as "Geoffroi" ~ "Geoffroy".

If you're interested more in the timing of this change, then you might want to have a look at different editions of dictionaries from the 1700s/1800s to see when different dictionaries adopted the "new" spellings.

Thank you so much, Neil, for the interesting and knowledgeable reply.

My curiosity about these letters also same from words like 'royal'. I knew it was related to 'roi' but why i in roi changes to y in royal? Is there a rule for this transformation?

Y is pronounced like a double I. Example : loyer is pronounced loi-ier [lwaje] or payer is pronounced pai-ier [peje].

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service