French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi can anyone help with this one - I am not very up on money terminology!

How would you say 'an account with a short term notice period' (ie one from which you can withdraw your money without having to give them notice far in advance)?

Merci bien...

Clare

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem is that there isn't any notice period to withdraw your money from an account in France. You just have to inform the bank if you need a lot of cash because they probably won't have enough money in small agencies.

You can may be say, to translate your phrase, un compte à court délai de retrait but it's really not natural (bank terminology is not often natural too).

Erwan -- just one or two banks appear to call it an "avis de retrait de fonds": "http://www.google.co.uk/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF..."

I would also have suggested "préavis de...", but Googling this doesn't actually seem to be used.

So maaaybe "à court délai d'avis de retrait de fonds", though it does sound a bit long-winded.

Maybe you could also say something like "à court délai de préavis pour les retraits de fonds"?

It seems that these banks are Canadian. That's why I haven't hear it before.

Aaah, that also makes sense. To be honest, it's not that I've really heard the term before either (and I should say I do a number of finance-related translations, but as you say, I don't think it's a particularly common concept in French banking), just that I was doing a search for some likely possibilities!
Thanks both for all the options so far. Would this be true of a savings account too? In England many savings accounts that offer high interest rates have a condition that you give (eg) one month's notice before withdrawing funds, and that is the type of situation being referred to here...
I think that theoretically, in France you can withdraw funds from a saving account without any notice period. But I don't have a lot of experience in this sphere.
Thanks! I used 'faire des retraits de fonds sans preavis' - hope this will work...

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service