French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

fripouillette, what does this mean? I am sure it describes a little girl, but what is the source? I have heard "poulette" which must mean little chicken as in a hen, but not this. Merci! Pam

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

My native language is French and I've never heard "fripouillette". But the word fripouille exists, and I think that a "fripouillette" is a small "fripouille", since the suffix "-et, -ette" is often used to "make things smaller", for instance: a "garçonnet" is a "petit garçon", a "fourchette" is a "petite fourche", etc.
And a fripouille is a rascal or a rogue. But it can also be used in a kinder way: "Petite fripouille!" = "You little rogue!", so I guess that would be the meaning of fripouillette.
Thank you Marc! So it must be similar to a mother calling her child a little munchkin or rugrat. I'm sure it was used affectionately. Pam

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service