French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Bonjour,

There is a phrase I have heard many times & it is used in the last episode of Saison 2 of Engrenages, the advocat Ms.  Karlsson says: ''tempi''? - this is a phonetic representation of what she says so it is spelt incorrectly.  The BBC have translated this as: ''never mind''.  I have not been able to locate this phrase so do not know how to spell it correctly.  Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Je t'en remercie!

Views: 586

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The exact expression is "tant pis". It means....well, "never mind" =)but, as in :

"I can't find your umbrella

- never mind, I'll take my coat"

To express that something is not really important, and that you can deal without it.

I can really explain where it comes from, it is typically a french idiom. It must have some etymological origin or something, but I don't know what it is.

Hello Lauris,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a full & clear reply!!  I was spelling it totally wrong - as I was aware - & couldn't guess at correct spelling.  It had been nagging me all morning so I'm grateful for this clarification & shall file away the correct spelling in my mind!

Kindest regards

Paul

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service