French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I'm taking French in high school right now (it's my second year).  It's come to my attention that I can read French pretty well, but I can't understand it (unless it's coming from my teacher.) Native speakers speak so quickly, and my vocabulary level isn't the highest, so I'm having a hard time with that.

Does anybody know where I can find things to help me understand what's being said?  For example, maybe a french television show with English subtitles?  I'm already trying to learn by listening to songs, but I think that if I had a TV show or something, it would also help.

Ideas/answers are appreciated!  Please and thank you!

Views: 1344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is some french tv show that you can watch to improve your comprehension, such as "scenes de ménages" or "un gars une fille" (although a little old now). Each episode is quite short, so you don't have to focus for a long time, and they use pretty common french. But I don't know if there is a lot of english subtitles for french tv shows.... but you don't find it, you can also try with french subtitles, it can work to.

In France, we give to those who want to improve their english the advice of watching movies or tv shows in english, but also subtitled in english. It's more difficult to translate what's written and correlate it with what's listened that to directly read and think in French.
I suggest you obtain a copy of the french film "Un homme et une femme" The spoken french is clear and you will soon get the gist of the expressions used.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service