French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Which is the most usual, most often used of these two expressions for "I need"?

"Il me faut.."  

or

"'J'ai besoin de..."

In other words may I, more often than not, limit myself to one. If so, which one?  I am pretty sure that thechinically, there are ample reasons for making a distinction.

But, if one were to acknowledge, in anticipation, that such liguistic distinctions exist and are even essential for  'proper' use in French, yet, could I, in general, opt for one, and not be crucified for using it even if not the most appropriate for the occasion?

In which event, which one could I opt for?

Thnks!

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm for J'ai besoin de. I'm pretty sure crucifixion would not be your fate in either case.
Thnks!
J'ai besoin de = I need; il me faut = I absolutely need
Superb common sense, if I may say so. THANKS. That makes it very plain - and easy to remember! Thnks Roland!
Yes, or come to think of it, "I must have" would also be a legitimate translation of il me faut.
Yes, and it is better because you can also say: Il me le faut absolument, or J'en ai absolument besoin.
Thnks Roland! I suppose the 'necessary' of 'faut' places the 'need' suggested at a more objective level than the 'need' suggested by 'besoin'. Does this make sense?
Thnks Stu. See reply to Roland.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service