French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Like in English, we use "it" for things e.g. book, table. And so, what is "it" in French?

Why is it that "Elle joue comment" means "how to play it" when [elle] in french means [she]?

Likewise, is it a standard thing were [il] is used in the sentence "what time is it" as - "quelle heure est-il"?

Also, what does [on] mean? Does it mean "we"? So it is the same as 'nous'?

Views: 26934

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is real equivalent to "it" in French but there is gender and this is how we determinate which pronoun between le/la is used.

In some construction you can use "c' " for "it". e.g.  "It's a shame"  C'est une honte.

Elle joue comment?   (oral speech)  is translated by "How does she play?"

"How to play it?" : Comment en joue-t-on?

on means nous but in the conjugation it's the 3rd singular person

The word "it" is actually a litte tricky to translate because there isn't a single equivalent in French. It depends on:

- whether "it" refers to a concrete thing or just a 'general idea'

- the gender of the thing that "it" refers to (remember that all French nouns have genders, even those representing inanimate objects), if indeed it refers to a concrete thing

- whether "it" is the subject or object in the sentence

1) referring to a 'concrete thing'

If "it" refers to a "concrete thing", then:

- as the subject, use il/elle (masculine/feminine): so to say "it is big", referring to a house (French maison = feminine): elle est grande

- as the object, use le/la, placed before the verb: so to say "I see it", referring to a house: je la vois; to say "I'm giving it to Marie", where "it" refers to a book (livre = masculine), je le donne à Marie.

2) Referring to a 'general idea'

- use ça (or cela in formal usage-- they're basically equivalent): Does it bother you if I put the TV on? = Ça te dérange si je mets la télé. Here "it" just means 'the idea in general of me turning the TV on' -- it doesn't refer to any specific noun with a gender.

- Also note: "I drink wine: it helps me to relax." = "Je bois du vin, ça m'aide à me détendre." The "it" here still refers to "the general idea of drinking wine in general", not to any specific wine.

- As the subject of être, use ce (or c' before a vowel) rather than ça.

- In informal speech, speakers sometimes use ça/ce anyway even where a specific noun could be imagined, e.g. in practice you can really say either Elle est grande, la maison or C'est grand, la maison (the first is a bit more formal).

3) "It" as subject of impersonal verbs and weather verbs

There are a few so-called "impersonal" verbs and constructions where il is used, e.g. il faut = it is necessary to..., ...is needed; Il s'agit de... = What this is is..., it is a question/matter of..., what is at stake is...

With many other impersonal constructions, you can use either il or cela/ça, e.g. "It appears difficult to believe that..." > Il/cela/ça paraît difficile de croire que... = "It appears difficult to believe that...", with the choice depending on formality.

Also weather verbs use il as the subject in standard usage, and sometimes ça in informal usage: il pleut/ça pleut = it's raining.

4) Some other stuff I've probably forgotten to mention...

i agree with you, Neil.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service