French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

La séance se déroulait au MK2 Gambetta, en face de la mairie du XXème arrondissement

I sort of understand it, but i'm not sure what MK2 Gambetta refers to... is this a place? A theatre? A suburb?

Views: 768

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you should say lequel/laquelle est toujours d'actualité but I can't succeed in making a sentence with this whole template.

So I guess  you mean something like:

Le gouvernement doit affronter plusieurs problèmes, par exemple l'emploi et le chômage, lequel est toujours d'actualité.

Whilst it's not exactly ungrammatical, I think something like this would be a bit more natural:

Le gouvernement doit affronter plusieurs problèmes, par exemple l'emploi et le chômage, ce dernier étant toujours d'actualité.

(I'd maybe suggest something like "...ce dernier constituant un sujet toujours d'actualité".)

On the other hand, I think this would be OK:

Le gouvernement doit affronter plusieurs problèmes, par exemple les relations avec la Libye, laquelle subit des sanctions de l'ONU.

I think "laquelle" works a bit better here where there's a genuine ambiguity of reference to be resolved (if you just used "qui", it could refer at first glance to either "les relations" or "la Libye"). 

It will be interesting so see what Erwan and others think too...

In your template, I fear you want that ...est toujours d'actualité refers to [sentence 1] and it's impossible in French.

But if you want it refers to [ideas] then, as Neil says, something with lequel, laquelle, ce dernier, etc... will works.

Use lequel/laquelle when you have only one idea and ce dernier/cette dernière if you have many examples.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service