French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

The following is a list I've made of French words that resemble English ones but in reality are different. I'm not interested in words (such as "poison" and "six" and "fiancé") that are the same in both languages. Would you care to add to this list?

as

assist

attend

bless

bras

but

cave

chair

chat

choir

chose

comment

figure

fin

four

irons

laid

lit

main

met

on

or

ours

pain

pays

pour

sale

sang

seize

smoking

son

sort

store

tape

tire

ton

tour

Views: 3055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True. In French, we can say "je supporte Manchester United mais je ne supporte pas leurs supporters (I support M.U. but i can't stand their supporters).

That makes me think of another faux-ami : stand.

Very interesting !

So, as I understand you, one would not say, C'est un plaisir pour moi supporter cet hôpital d'enfants.

Right. It would be : C'est un plaisir pour moi d'aider cet hôpital pour enfants.

rue

Ce verbe anglais est un peu rare - du moins aux États-Unis.  Je crois que les Britanniques utilisent ce mot plus facilement.  Sa signification est similaire à regreter.  On pourrait dire, par exemple, "I rue the day (that) I met you" - un sentiment malheureux.

I was very tempted to add the word

pendant

to this list, but I will refrain for now.

En anglais, je crois qu'on se serve ce mot exclusivement pour une type de collier.

In French, it usually means during or while, but I think it may also mean a kind of necklace, as it does in English.  Ai-je raison ?

I don't think you're right. We say pendentif, for a necklace with a little suspended thing to it.
Excellent !

I think we can add the verb to assume :

in french, you can't use it to express the idea of supposition. "Assumer" only means to take upon yourself as in "J'assume les conséquences de mes actes".

Very good to know !  Merci !

sent

dire

C'est un adjectif en anglais : terrible, provoquant la peur, désespérée.

If the price of wheat were to fall, there would be dire consequences.

parties

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service