French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

What does "ben" mean when used in a chat sentence

Views: 2189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In an on-line chat context (i.e. conversation, but where people get to review their "utterances" before they "say" them), it will tend to be used to emphasise a contradiction, so a bit like "well" in English; "ben non!" would mean something like "of course not!" and "ben oui!" something like "of course (it is/they did/etc)!".

In speeech, the word "ben" is often roghly equivalent to English "er", "well" used as a 'filler' when the speaker is hesitating, but in an on-line chat scenario I guess this would be less common.

Of course, that's assuming it's not e.g. a misspelling of "bien": without a whole example it's hard to tell.

I'm agree with you Neil.

As you say, the speaker can use it when he's hesitating. here is a synonym which is used frequently : "euh..."

Q : Quelle est la capitale de l'Espagne?

A : euh/ben.... je ne sais pas.

Be careful, it's not well formed french language (or formal language)

Thanks to both of you. In the context in which I have read "ben" your explanation does make sense

Thank you again

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service