French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hello! I am the biggest of all beginners and on the first step in studding French, but I need help with probably not correct sentences from my French friend... and I suppose he use slang really often... I would be grateful if someone could help me with this one, for example:
"hello la belle pas le tempt desoller on panse a vous mes les enfants prene le desus desoler fait biz a tous"
Thanks in advance!

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok it's full of mispellings, but I think it is this:
Hello my beautiful one, no time, sorry, thinking of you, the kids, take the ______????below??? Sorry, make a kiss to all.
Pam
Thank you very much! It has been helpful!
It's not so much slang, just not conventional spelling (a bit like you'd see in an SMS). In conventional spelling, it would be:

Hello, la belle, pas le temps, désolé(e), on pense à vous mais les enfants prennent le dessus. Désolé, fais bisous à tous."

meaning roughly something like:

"Hello hon, no time, sorry-- we're thinking of you all, but the kids are taking all our time up at the moment. Sorry, love to you all."
Thank you!
Thank you! I was pleasantly surprised by fast answers!
This is a particular teenager style of writing called "kikoolol".

Trying to understand is really not a good way to learn French. Even native speakers that aren't familiar with it get headaches while trying decipher it.

So, stay away from it until you really are fluent in French, and until you really have to understand it.
Well, the truth is that I really want to learn to understand and speak French, I will listen the advice. I already began to read French, properly read, and learn from a grammar book. I had identified some programs where I can listen to pronunciation of French words. So I am self-taught, but I have friends in Paris and pen and hear them via MSN and I have a chance to listen to "that kind" of French...
Once again, thanks for the advice, it is certain that I WILL BE true beginner! :)
Unless you think your friend is seriously illiterate and don't want to offend them, you might ask them to try and spell their messages to you conventionally to help you learn.

Of course, in the real world, people do use unconventional spelling, and part of being fluent in a language is dealing with variation. But as a starting point, it's probably more practical to concentrate on learning how to understand conventionally spelt French as Frank says.
I know that my friend seriously illiterate, unfortunately ... and I know that he can not help much, but I see that I have come to the right place :)
Well, in that case, you've seen some examples of the kinds of problems that less literate speakers often have when writing, e.g.:

- confusing -er, , -ais, -ait, -ez on the ends of words
- confusing -s, -t on the ends of words
- confusing an and en

So when you're trying to find words, try some of these substitutions.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service