French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

French Dictionary / Vocabulary (234)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

lutherie

One more... I know what lutherie is, but in this sentence, can anyone french-speaking tell me whether they feel this a literally referring…

Started by Clare H

2 May 9, 2011
Reply by lauris

astrolatres

DOes anyone know if 'astrolatre' (with circonflex) is exactly the same as astrologue? Is it perjorative?

Started by Clare H

1 May 9, 2011
Reply by lauris

un corneau

I've never come across un corneau before - it must be some kind of creature (context is 'il se gratte comme un corneau pouilleux'), can any…

Started by Clare H

7 May 7, 2011
Reply by Clare H

moods and personalities

I just made a list of all words I could think of that describe moods and/or personalities and I was wondering if those of you who have the…

Started by R. Laurent

4 Apr 26, 2011
Reply by R. Laurent

The correct words for: watermelon & seedless watermelon.

I would like to know the correct word for the fruit watermelon and also for seedless watermelon.  I want to know what French speakers use…

Started by Catherine da Cunha

4 Apr 25, 2011
Reply by Catherine da Cunha

la quarantaine fuselee

Hi, has anyone come across this saying before? It's in a novel and describes a man, who is 'un homme seduisant, la quarantiane fuselee' - f…

Started by Clare H

2 Apr 19, 2011
Reply by Clare H

apes (primate)

Singe appears to be the only way to translate monkey and ape. How can I distinguish an ape linguistically? (singe sans queue?)

Started by madeline h. caviness

7 Apr 19, 2011
Reply by lauris

Junk Food

Please could anyone give me a good translation into French of the term "junk food", used for foods of no or little nutritional value, e.g.…

Started by Grazyna Bonati

4 Apr 15, 2011
Reply by Erwan

Tous les jours & toujours

What is the difference between tous les jours and toujours? Difference of nuance?

Started by Adam Kim

2 Apr 12, 2011
Reply by yong leong

word pairs

What's the difference between 'aliment' and 'nourriture'? What's the difference between 'soupe' and 'potage'?

Started by Tony Blake

5 Apr 7, 2011
Reply by Ed la mouette

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service