French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I've checked this in the dictionary and in cookbooks. Sometimes this is written as above. Other times it is "croquembouche" Which is the more usual. I was silly enough to ask in a local patisserie and provoked an argument between staff, all French but unable to agree. Any food experts out there willing to advise.

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a food expert, but Wikipedia and Larousse agree that it's basically a big pile of profiteroles...

I would rather say " a big pile of puff pastry (choux???)" than profiteroles which are pastry balls with cream and chocolate.

But both are really delicious :)

Thanks Erwan -- yes, I guess "profiterole" might not be quite le mot juste.

On the other hand, usually "puff pastry" is used to indicate the top of a savoury pie -- I'm not sure how common it would be in English in this context. I couldn't really think what else to call them :(

I know what it is. I'm trying to find out what is the most common spelling in  France as both appear in the dictionary and some insist it's written one way and others the other. It probably doesn't matter other than I'm trying to be accurate.

Google stats suggest that "croquembouche" is more common:

croquembouche : ~456K instances

croque-en-bouche : ~90K instances

That suits me. I never thought of looking Google Stats. Thank you so much for your help...much appreciated and croquembouche it will be.


Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2022   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service