Tips on asking and answering questions
- make your title explanatory (don't just put "question", but something like "meaning of word 'amour'");
- if you're asking about the meaning of a French word, give the context in which you found it;
- if you're asking about how to translate a particular phrase to or from French, also try and give as much context as possible: the translation of a particular word or phrase can often depend on the particular context or usage in which you find it;
- try to be as clear as you can with your question;
- questions and answers in both English and French are welcome;
- avoid links in your question: if you are asking about the meaning of a word/sentence, quote the sentence rather than a link to it;
- DON'T JSUT ASK PEOPLE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK: people will be very happy to give you advice on how to improve work that you've already had a go at, or give you some hints on how to answer a question/sentence that you're genuinely stuck on, but please don't assume that people will magically do your homework for you if you have made no attempt whatsoever to have a first try of it yourself;
- use links sparingly in answers: if you do post a link, it should directly answer the specific question being asked, but the idea of the forum is to answer people's questions directly here on the forum, not send them off to other sites!
- please note that blatant advertising messages will be removed and could result on you being banned from the site.