French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

is this the most common way to quickly tell someone to move?  

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is "sors-toi de là" also

I think "fous-toi de là" could also be used and is fairly vulgar

"dégage-toi" seems to work also and is common.

is "bouge de là" rude?

Hello,

Sorry for my english, I'm French.

"ôte-toi de là" is a very polite sentence, but it's not common.

It's better to say "peux-tu te pousser ?" or "pouvez-vous vous pousser ?" or "pouvez-vous me laisser passer ?"

"sors-toi de là" has not the same meaning. That's not equals to "ôte-toi de là"

"fous-toi de là " isn't a French sentence.

You can say "dégage" (not dégage-toi) or "bouge de là" but it's rude.

I hope I coulp help you.

I forgot, sometimes "ôte-toi de là" is an order or a threat. It's depends to your voice tone.

I think the most simple is to say "pardon" or "excusez-moi".

Hi Alan, George and Sylenes.

Alan said : « is "bouge de là" rude? »

Yes it's very rude, indeed. ( To understand completely, there is a specific explanation below. )

Sylenes said : « Sorry for my english, I'm French. »

Welcome Sylenes in this topic. Your English is perfect for me. ^^ I am also happy to see that other French want to share explanations concerning rules and culture.

Sylenes said : « "ôte-toi de là" is a very polite sentence, but it's not common. »

Yes, It's right. As this sentence is very polite, the French courtesy formulation is often used with it.

- According to the tutoiement : « S'il te plaît, ôte-toi de là.» / « Ôte-toi de là, s'il te plaît ».

- According to the vouvoiement : « S'il vous plaît, ôtez-vous de là. » / « Ôtez-vous de là, s'il vous plaît. »

Sylenes said : " It's better to say "peux-tu te pousser ?" or "pouvez-vous vous pousser ?" or "pouvez-vous me laisser passer ?" "

I am not completely agree with you. These sentences can be used intead of « ôtes-toi de là. », but it's not mandatory. Indeed, the implicit French usage indicates this :

- « S'il te plaît, ôtes-toi de là pour que je puisse passer. »

[ The main concept is : ( « Please, get out of this place so that I can cross over this same place. » ) ]

however, it's also possible to use this phrase whitout this concept :

- « S'il te plaît, ôtes-toi de là car c'est dangereux de rester. »

[ The main concept is : ( « Please, get out of this place because it's very dangerous for you to stay inside. » ) owing to, for instance, a radioactive environment, a bloody monster, a perfidious trap, a chemical bomb… ]

In this precise case, It's not for taking place instead of somebody, because this one who says this order is away. So, all is according to the real situation context.

Sylenes said : "sors-toi de là" has not the same meaning. That's not equals to "ôte-toi de là".

Yes, It's right. « sors-toi de là » has exactly the sense of the last example that I wrote above. That is to say, It's not mandatory that the person who says/yells this order is on this same place.

Sylenes said : "fous-toi de là " isn't a French sentence.

It's right too. « fous-toi de là » has no sense. However, « fous-toi là ! » means exactly « to sit down here/ to stay here / to move there ». This phrase is a bit rude and can be understood like an order or an advice.

- The order : « Fous-toi là et ferme la ! » [ Fous-toi là et ferme ta bouche. ] > ( « Sit down and shut up ! » )

- The advice : « Fous-toi là. » [ Fous ta voiture là. ] > ( « You can park your car here, please. » )

Sylenes said : « You can say "dégage" (not dégage-toi) or "bouge de là" but it's rude. »

Here an explanation in funny pictures. To sum up quickly, «Bouge de là» is a song well known in France. This singer is called Mc Solaar and the song's theme tells us how a bad boy is rejected cause of its stupid behavior. I think there is not a best manner to understand « bouge de là » in French :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W11U5fjgI3w

( English translations are directly inside the video-clip. )

Sylenes said : « I forgot, sometimes "ôte-toi de là" is an order or a threat. It's depends to your voice tone. »

Exactly ! It's true.

Sylenes said : « I think the most simple is to say "pardon" or "excusez-moi". »

… if you are very polite indeed. If you prefer to be very rude, «dégage ! » is recommanded. ;-)

A plus tard.

when you work in resto kitchens, there are certain things you are taught to say quickly for reasons of safety.  you announce "behind you" when you walk behind someone or you say "hot, hot" when carrying something hot.  or someone in a resto (or in other job scenarios) will say "coming through" or "move out of the way" to announce that you have to give them priority.  i believe when i studied "de'gager" that i saw that the police simply say "de'gager s.v.p" when telling a crowd to disperse.  in english they'd say "let's move on" or "let's break it up."  it wouldn't be rude.  

« i believe when i studied "de'gager" that i saw that the police simply say "de'gager s.v.p" when telling a crowd to disperse.  in english they'd say "let's move on" or "let's break it up."  it wouldn't be rude. »

In fact, it depends of the context.

- When a situation isn't dangerous, the police says : « circulez, s'il vous plaît. » It matches to : « It's time to move. Begone, please ! »

- When the situation is indeed dangerous, the police says : « dégager ! » It matches rather to « Move away, quickly ! »

« dégage ! » ; « dégagez ! » is really an imperative order.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service