French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

C’est une idée fixe de l’auteur. Une sorte de la triste bourde.

Aussi, cet auteur est possédé du démon de la vengeance, car un jour de vengeance était dans son cœur. Pas moins triste, pas moins bourdais.

It's a pet project of the autor. Kind of sad trash.

Also the autor is posessed by the fiend of the vengeance, for the day of vengeance was in his heart. None the less sad, none the less trashy.

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will just make a few obvious corrections and I hope Chantal may  provide a final version...

C’est une idée fixe de l’auteur. Une sorte de labourde. d'ordure triste

Aussi, cet auteur est possédé du (par le?)  démon de la vengeance, car un jour de vengeance était(habitais?) dans son cœur. Pas moins triste, pas moins trash

It's not easy ....

C’est une idée fixe de l’auteur. => this sentence is ok. means that the autor always think about the same story, again and again.

Une sorte de la triste bourde. => this sentence is ko.

Une sorte d'ordure triste => this sentence is ok.

But i don't know the english expression "kind of sad trash" and the french sentence "Une sorte de d'ordure triste" is weird after "C’est une idée fixe de l’auteur.". Can you explain the idea behind "sad trash" ?

Aussi, cet auteur est possédé par le démon de la vengeance. => ok

car un jour de vengeance était dans son cœur : I am not sure about "for" = "car". My first thought is that "for" = "depuis" when there is an idea of time after "for". Does the word "for" mean "because" (car) or does it mean "since a day in the past" (depuis).

Aussi, cet auteur est possédé du démon de la vengeance, depuis que le jour de la vengeance est dans son cœur.

None the less sad, none the less trashy. "none the less" is weird to me. In a dictionnary i saw "nonetheless" but it's translate by "néanmoins". And "néanmoins triste" sounds odd. What does it mean ?

What does ko mean ,Chantal? (not OK?)

"kind of sad trash"  = "comme del'ordure triste" ?

"For" does mean "car" (not "depuis")

"

None the less sad, none the less trashy." could be  perhaps "autant triste, autant  trash".

"none the less" can have this sense as well as "neanmoins" I feel.

it's funny you don't use "ko". yes in french it's usual to say "ok" when it's right and "ko" when it's wrong.

comme de l'ordure triste : we don't say that. i thought "sad trash" is an expression, so there is not necessarily a matching french expression. the meaning is important to translate.

"comme une ordure triste" means something, it's possible. But "une ordure" (for people) is someone who is really very very bad, so used with "triste" seems illogical. Maybe "trash", it's for someone who wander the streets like a lost soul, badly dressed. so would rather say "comme un déchet triste".

Aussi, cet auteur est possédé par le démon de la vengeance, car le jour de la vengeance était dans son cœur. => ok

Pas moins triste, pas moins trash :  sounds better.

A "ko" is a "knock out" as in boxing.

In France too, ko is used in boxing.

but ko is used to say someone i can't move because i'm very tired : je suis ko.

and to say "wrong" but now i am not sure it's used everywhere. I think it's because I work in information technology and it's a technical way to say something doesn't work. (because of the switch of the two letters O.K. ). But as reversal letters are common in french, anybody understands.

Thank you for corrections.

"Sad trash" means smth. or smbd. of little value making you sad and being sad her/him/itself too.

One guy (Vasia Oblomov) translated it into french as "triste me*de" or "la triste de me*de". I try to avoid words of that kind.

triste me*de : the adjectif is before the name.  When an adjectif is before the name, sometimes the meaning is a little bit different.

Une triste nullité.

un triste débris  (idea of pathetic more important). Un débris triste (idea of pathetic and idea of sadness)

un triste déchet / un sombre déchet. (idea of pathetic, pitiful. and little idea of sadness. déchet is stronger than débris)

un déchet triste (idea of pathetic, pitiful and big idea of sadness of himself)

dechet and débris : we can be sad for him.

un sombre fumier / une sombre ordure.  (for a very bad guy, but the idea of sadness is not present.

un triste fumier / une triste ordure is not common and sounds odd but is grammatically right.

Une ordure triste : a very bad guy who is sad, but we aren't sad for him. no idea of pathetic.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service