French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

He  is related to me.

I have lots of relatives.

Where do your  relations live?

What is your relationship to her/him/them?

My maternal  relatives are not  in this  country.

My paternal relatives are not  in this  country.

Both events are closely related to each other.

I have lots of extended family members.

...........................................................................................................................................................

Friends are  'amies' in French, Neighbors are 'voisin' in French. 

My enemies are ' mes ennemies ' in French.

I combed my dictionaries in vain to find out a suitable word for relatives. I beg your help to translate the  above  English into French. In English we speak about well-wishers. We say, for example, friends and well-wishers.

It seems there is not a single French word  for the  English word relatives. It sounds  awkward to my ears.

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Chantal

This is an excellent reply. I will print it out. Because I got it straight from te horse's mouth.

I am sure you know the English words nuclear family.

Generally, we exclude uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, etc when we talk  about the nuclear family.

So all those who are excluded comes under the category of extended family members.

However, I am not a native  English speaker like George Hunt could shed light on this.

I have lots of extended  family members. Maybe about 25 people.

'Il est de ma famille' literally means he is one of  my family members or he is  in  my family circuit.

What  is interesting  here that the beautiful language of French does not  have a single  word for  the English word relatives.

I know French uses several words for a single English  word.

Look at the English word  return. I think French  has 7 words to represent the English word return.

Crack1 said "I am sure you know the English words nuclear family.

Generally, we exclude uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, etc when we talk  about the nuclear family.

So all those who are excluded comes under the category of extended family member"

That is quite correct (I was struggling to recall  that). That explains the English  description "extended family" perfectly.

@alan

"etroitement apparente" does work....

I don't think it  means related in the familial sense though.

Sorry I am just on the phone and can't do the accents this time..

I have made some  mistakes when writing. George or  others did  not tell me.  I am a bit  surprised.

This is an excellent reply. I will print it out. Because I got it straight from te horse's mouth.

So all those who are excluded comes under the category of extended family members.

However, I am not a native  English speaker like George Hunt could shed light on this.

..........................................................................................

THE  FOLLOWING  IS CORRECT.

This is an excellent reply. I will print it out. Because I got it straight from the horse's mouth.

However, I am not a native  English speaker like George Hunt. He could shed light on this.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service