French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

My french teacher was editing my project, and made a correction to the following sentence;

Je sors du cinéma et je marche au magasin "American Eagle" et j'achète des nouveaux vêtements.

He scratched out the 's' in 'des'. I couldn't understand why he did this though. I thought plural nouns added an 's' to the article in front of it?

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're right about the "s" added to the article. Nevertheless, there is a case where we have to say "de" instead of "des" : when the adjective precede the noun :
- J'achète des vêtements neufs
- J'achète de nouveaux vêtements
But in daily conversation, you will rarely find the second one. "J'achète des nouveaux vêtements" is correct too.
Oh, alright. Thank you!
In writing, especially in a fairly literary style, it's usually considered more elegant to use de directly before an adjective (as Ed mentions, in everyday speech, it's usual to use des). If your project is supposed to be in a fairly formal style, then it's probably best to follow your teacher's suggestion. If the idea is more to have an informal style/dialogue, then des would be fine I think.

You'll find variation among speakers on this point (just as in English you'll find some speakers insisting on saying "to whom" rather than "to who", while for others the first one may sound overly pretentious). Also, when the adjective and noun go together to form a set phrase, it's more common to use des (so, for some speakers at least, there's a difference between de grands magasins, "large shops", and des grands magasins, "department stores").

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service