French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

If you are in a retail store, and the woman is older, do you call her madame, and if younger, mademoiselle? Or is everyone Madame? or Mademoiselle? You never know if someone is married, or does it not matter?

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is definitely a trap.  A young woman addressed as Madame might be insulted because you think she looks old. An older woman addressed as Mademoiselle might take offence because you imply that nobody would want to marry her.

I think the default is Madame, but switch to Mademoiselle if she's really obviously young, or if you intend to flirt.

To stay on the safe side, I usually don't use any of them, unless I know for sure. Just say bonjour and you'll be fine. Do you really need to say madame or mademoiselle?

As stu harris said, it's a trap. I just don't step on it.

Hope this helps.

It can be considered rude to just say bonjour.

When I worked in Paris I used to just use Bonjour until my boss told me that it is very unappropriated.

Jake

Learn French On The Internet

To be on the safe side,

If you see a woman who is less than 18 years old than use Mademoiselle.

If she is older than use Madame.

When ever you are not sure use Madame.

Its a tricky one as Stu said.

Jake

Learn French On The Internet

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service