French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Summer is looming.

I must fix my bike.

Yesterday, I upended my bike to clean the chain and to fix a few things.

French uses the word 'renverser' to upend, according the dictionary.

How do I say I upended the bike in French?

Maybe a native French speaker has some other ideas on my question.

J'ai renversé mon velo. MAYBE INCORRECT.

I know faire du velo is go cycling.

Views: 456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"renverser" was the word that came to my mind. However it may be that "renverser" has the connotation of a disorderly upending.(almost "break up" - you can "renverser"  a jug of water ,for example)

"Mettre à l'envers" might be more what you are looking for here.

"J'ai mis le velo a l'envers"

This may help:http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/mettre+%C3%A0+l%2...

My phrase "J'ai mis le velo a l'envers" does not seem very common on Google  but perhaps  that reflects the fact that it is not a common activity ;-)

Thanks George

Your reply sounds natural to my ears.

Are you a native French speaker?

If you are a native French speaker, I will accept it without blinking an eye.

I guess you are either British or American.

However, you possess a good command of French.

Recently, I told you that I went to Sri Lanka.

I forgot to telly you I spent nearly 2 weeks in Paris en route to Colombo.

I tried to practice my French in Paris. It was tough.

I trained at a Paris gym twice. I spoke French with the people who work at the gym.

They charged 20 euros every time I trained. That is expensive.

I will go there again in summer.

France is always nice.

Hi Cracki

Yes my French is not too bad but I will nearly always  defer to a native speaker (or to a non native speaker with a better -or even similar- familiarity of the language than  mine)

Since we do not have many of those frequenting  the site at the moment ,I just give my opinion for what it is worth.

You are welcome to accept my opinion on a conditional and a case by case  basis  if it is not contradicted and if it sounds reasonable -unless of course you are studying for an exam when it is more important to actually  be correct.

Hi !

George said : “ "Mettre à l'envers" might be more what you are looking for here.”

My phrase "J'ai mis le velo a l'envers" does not seem very common on Google  but perhaps  that reflects the fact that it is not a common activity ;-) “

“J'ai mis mon vélo à l'envers” is truly French. Is really perfect ! ( just don't forget the accent above the “a” because : “a” = “has” ; “à”= “at, to” )

We also could say “retourner mon vélo”. That matches to “mettre le vélo à l'envers” but likewise “to come back by bicycle”.

Here two examples :

- Un de mes pneus est dégonflé. Pour réparer ça, j'ai besoin de retourner mon vélo afin de défaire la roue concernée. ( One of my tires is deflated. To fix it, I need to upend my bicycle in order to remove the concerned wheel. )

- Je conduisais mon vélo sur cette route tranquille. mais, comme je suis arrivé à la fin de la route, j'ai dû retourner mon vélo pour partir. ( I drove my bicycle in this quiet road. But, as I arrived to the road end, I had to turn my bicycle to come back. )

In addition, it's also possible to write : “j'ai dû tourner mon vélo pour repartir.” “re” means “again”.

Crack said :

However, you possess a good command of French.”

It's right ! I agree with you, Chacky ! ^^ Many answers that George gives us on this website are very good. As a French people, I feel that the French culture flows in him naturaly. It's nice. Thanks George ! ;-)

I tried to practice my French in Paris. It was tough.”

It's exactly the same for my when I am speaking with a English native. It's yet so hard. All words come too fast and my brain always need to translate with a small late. Finally I often ask that my interlocutor could repeat... Anyway, [ I write for all French and English learners reading that ], it's a good thing that to take much risks during a conversation. Of course, everybody has to be respecting and forgiving regarding mistakes of eachother ! Sometimes a talking error likewise can trigger a humor moment between people that can relax relationships... Indeed, to be too shy never allows to progress in another language. ^^

I trained at a Paris gym twice. I spoke French with the people who work at the gym. They charged 20 euros every time I trained. That is expensive.”

Paris sera toujours Paris, of course ! ^^ But Paris also is expensive for other French people who are not parisian. -_-' . Paris, like other capital towns over the world condenses many money, and so, richest people and their business. Don't hesitate to discover all towns who are away from Paris. As it's possible to cross the France by one or two days, I am sure that you will meet your happiness somewhere.

I will go there again in summer.”

You are welcome !

France is always nice.”

The France is a small country in comparison to other countries that are bigger. But, the France is known by almost everybody over the world. I often think that the France would be more nice if French people could be more welcoming. Anyway, thanks alot to love my country, Cracky. ;-)

Read you later.

Stevo.

Sorry, I have been mistaken. Here the correct version.

"It's exactly the same for me when I am speaking with a English native".

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service