French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Do qu'est-ce que and qu'est ce que c'est que mean the same as quel est or do they express something else?

i.e Could "what is the answer?" be translated as either

Quelle est la réponse

Qu'est-ce que(c'est que) la réponse

Also does the "c'est que" addition make it more formal or informal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have been very quiet on this forum recently.Hopefully one of our native speakers  or more qualified members will drop in and give you an answer.

Otherwise, I will try my best in a few days ;-)

Hello,

"qu'est ce que ..." may be  used for more questions than "quel est...".

"Quel est..." is formal and informal, It is used in oral language too. it's the right way to ask  "quel est la réponse ?".

"What is the answer ?" yes I translate that by "quelle est la réponse ?" 

But not by "Qu'est ce que la réponse ?" this way is wrong to mean "quel est".  Qu'est-ce que + just a common name as "qu'est-ce que la réponse ?" may be used to mean "what does the word "réponse" mean ?" and this is formal.

"Qu'est ce que c'est la réponse ?" may be used  in oral language with the tone that cut the sentence like "qu'est ce que c'est ? (la réponse) ?

"Qu'est-ce que c'est que la réponse ?" : not used like that.

"Qu'est ce que c'est que cette réponse ?"  is used but have another meaning. "Quelle est la réponse ?" = you ask a question and you want to know the answer. "Qu'est-ce que c'est que cette réponse ?" = you ask a question, I answer and you are surprised by the answer and want to know why I answer that.

You have another informal and oral way : "c'est quoi la réponse ?"

and "qu'est ce que" "qu'est-ce que c'est" "qu'est-ce que c'est que" are used in expressions.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I understand you correctly we use "qu'est-ce que" with a noun only when you want the definition of that noun but you would use "quel est+noun" for basically everything else: when you 1) want a one word answer, i.e "quelle est votre boisonn preferé?" 2) the noun that follows represents a choice among others, i.e "quelle chemise vous voulez? (parmi celles-ci)" or 3) you would like a detailed explanation, i.e "quelle est la role de la religion dans la societé?"

Yes, that recap is ok.

"la role"?

I see "le role" is far ,far more referenced in google as I expected.(737,000 vs  586! )

Oui j'aurais du corriger :

c'est bien "le" rôle.

> Quel est le rôle de la religion dans la société ?

et aussi :

quelle est votre boisonn preferé? => Quelle est votre boisson préférée.

et on dira : Quelle chemise voulez-vous ?

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service