French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

What's the difference between Prenons and Dinons ?

Thanks

Views: 993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your both words are the 1st plural person of  verbs.

Prenons -> prendre : to take, to catch, to assume,... there are several meanings depending on the context

Dînons -> dîner : to dine

So these verbs don't have the same meaning. There is only one case where they can be close : prendre un repas (to take a meal) and dîner

Thanks once again for the reply and answer.

I'm trying to learn French via Rosetta Stone. The refers to people, families and friends sitting down to eat. In one caption they use prenons and in a couple of others they use dinons. I noticed that they appeared to use prenons when breakfast was concerned and for later meals dinons was used. Apart from that I have no clue as to when you or would not use it.

Cheers

Dave

Can you give us your sentences wich use both verbs?

1. Nous prenons le petit dejeuner a l'interieur.

2. Nous dinons a l'exterieur.

3. Nous prenons le petit dejeuner a l'exterieur.

4 Nous dinons a l'interieur.

Thanks

Dave

The verb dîner simply means 'prendre le repas du soir' (to have dinner) or 'Prendre le repas de midi' (to have lunch).

As a noun, it's either 'dinner' or 'lunch'.

Jervon -- this is not true in all French-speaking regions. As far as I'm aware, for most speakers in France, "déjeuner" would be the midday meal (though as a verb it can also be used to mean "have breakfast"), whereas "dîner" would be the evening meal.

Also, the two words standing alone in the 1st person singular can also express "Let us" or "Let's": therefore, "let's eat".  The distinction between breakfast and dinner has already been made.  You are really saying, "let's take" and "let's dine".  A good example in another verb, though idiomatic because of the "y" would be "allons-y" which translates as "let's go."  Your lesson in Rosetta Stone is probably teaching you commands in the plural.  If you say simply "mangeons" for "let's eat" you needn't worry about the informal breakfast and the more formal diner difference.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service