French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

1.  First and most important they should adopt french laws and also abolish the death penalty

"Premièr et la plus importante ils devraient adopter la loi française et aussi supprimer la peine du mort.

2. Quand ils le font le pays aura le bon avenir ( when they do that the country will have a good future)

3. S'il suivent l'Americans ils sont sur la route pour ruiner. ( if they follow the Americans they are on the road to ruin )

4. They are not a poor country they can invite the french and change to the french system to save the country

Ils ne sont pas un pauvre pays ils peuvent inviter la france et changer beaucoup de choses au système français pour sauver le pays.

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1 - Almost correct, but your translation of "First and most important" sounds weird in french. When you use this kind of expression, you should use something to precise what you're talking about, like "Premier point, et le plus important" or "Première chose, et la plus importante"

2 - Yo have to use future tense here : Quand ils le feront. And I would say "le pays aura un bon avenir"

3 - I would translate "The road to ruin" by "le chemin / la voie de la ruine"

4 - Be careful here : "changer beaucoup de choses au système français" means "to change the french system" not to change TO the french system. You better say "Ils peuvent inviter les français et changer pour le système français / passer au système français pour sauver le pays"

1. Le premier point, et ce serait le plus important, serait d'adopter les lois françaises et de supprimer également la peine de mort.

2. aura un bon avenir is grammatically correct but sounds a bit weird. Something like verra son avenir s'améliorer/aura un meilleur avenir (not the best one) seems better to me.

3. S'ils suivent les américains ils s'engageront sur une route/voie qui les ruinera

4. ok with Lauris

In addition to what Erwan and Lauris have suggested, I'd also say that there's no need to translate "First and most important(ly)" so literally: you could just pick a roughly synonymous idiomatic French phrase e.g. "Avant toute chose".
You are right Neil, it was a direct translation that is the mistake usually we make when we are new to the language.  "Avant toute chose" does sound really good.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service