French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

i cleaned yesterday for a french guy who was speaking english but then told me not to use a lot of water on his balcony.  he switched to french and told me not to "laver a grande l'eau."  i just looked it up and there's a swiss river called the "grande Eau."  it's the source of the expression "laver a grande l'eau."  are there other times when u would use "a grande l'eau" other than w "laver?"  Tx    

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems to be mainly used with "laver" although "nettoyer"  also works.

It's "a grande   l'   eau" btw.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22a+grande+eau%22+-laver+-lave&...

No.

that expression means "with a lot of water" so just for "laver", "rincer" "nettoyer".

I seem to remember the expression "a grands flots". Does that mean the same thing and are there other similar "a grands...." expressions?

"à grandes eaux" or "à grande eau" : "eau" means really water and not anything else and this expression is only for water, or washing with water.

There are "les grandes eaux" too = big fountains (at Versailles for exemple) but always fountains with waters.

"à grands flots' may be used for water and for something else than water. used for "a lot of" (very important, aboundantly) for a liquid : "lors de la guerre, le sang a coulé à grands flots".

used with "lumière" too. "Un grand flot de lumière".

"à grands pas"

"à grands frais"

"à grands renforts"

"à grande échelle"

"à grands coups de"

"en grandes pompes"

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service