French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

the dictionary says a groundless rumor or accusation is "sans fondement."  what is the difference between fondement, fondation, and le fond?  Tx

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

fondement = it's something that is very important and on what another thing is based on.  it's the base.

so for a rumor "sans fondement" it's a rumor without a real reason, the rumor is based on nothing.

Les fondements d'une société = rules to create a society

fondement has another meaning, slang = buttocks, the ass, but not in a crude langage, rather like a joke. 

fondation = is used in 3 meanings :

- the base of a building = les fondations

- when something is created, there are basis called "fondations"

- for an non-profit organization founded with donations used to help people or scheme for community.

le fond = it's a general concept about the base. it's very used for a lot of notions. 

le fond de l'assiette = the base of a plate

le fond du trou = the ground down a hole

le fond du texte = the meaning of a texte

le fond de teint = the first lotion a woman put on his cheek before make up.

toucher le fond = when all around you is bad and your life falls down, when you have problems and problems, and more problems, and ou can't do anything except falling and falling... one day you are "au fond du trou" ou "vous touchez le fond" and after that often it's better.

"au fond, je suis d'accord avec vous ..." = I am OK with your opinion about the meaning, about the basis, ...

fondement = it's something that is very important and on what another thing is based on.  it's the base.

so for a rumor "sans fondement" it's a rumor without a real reason, the rumor is based on nothing.

Les fondements d'une société = rules to create a society

fondement has another meaning, slang = buttocks, the ass, but not in a crude langage, rather like a joke. 

so in english it's "foundation."  it's also an adj. -- u could say the foundational rules.  it's not used in any way w regard to the body.  

fondation = is used in 3 meanings :

- the base of a building = les fondations

- when something is created, there are basis called "fondations"

- for an non-profit organization founded with donations used to help people or scheme for community.

same 3 are used in english.  "bases" (w an "e") is the plural of "basis."   

le fond = it's a general concept about the base. it's very used for a lot of notions. 

me: don't say "it's very used."  say "it's used often or commonly" and i wouldn't say "a lot of notions."  i'd say "it's used a lot of ways to mean various things."

le fond de l'assiette = the base of a plate

le fond du trou = the ground down a hole

le fond du texte = the meaning of a texte

english: the heart of the text 

le fond de teint = the first lotion a woman put on his cheek before make up.

yes, women put on a "foundation" b4 continuing w their make-up

toucher le fond = when all around you is bad and your life falls down, when you have problems and problems, and more problems, and ou can't do anything except falling and falling... one day you are "au fond du trou" ou "vous touchez le fond" and after that often it's better.

in english u say "i hit rock bottom."  

"au fond, je suis d'accord avec vous ..." = I am OK with your opinion about the meaning, about the basis, ...

english: in essence, i agree w u.  fundamentally, i'm in agreement, i agree

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service