French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Bonjour,

I am in the middle of translating piece of prose I wrote some time ago and am stuck on the last line which has to have a poetic, or at least elegant, sound to it:

“The connection between them is so fragile it is like gossamer; it is almost spiritual.”

In French would “connexion” or “lien” be better?

For “gossamer” my dictionary gives “ des fils de la Vièrge”, “ arachnidéene” and even " soie d'araignée".

Has anyone any comments as to which would sound best in French to native speakers or can yousuggest alternatives. I am stuck here.

Gary.

Views: 206

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't help you much but I just wonder can you use the word "fil" or "les fils"  to mean "connection" ?

In English "threads" could be substituted for "connections", I think.

That is an excellent idea George ! The translation might then be "Le fil entre eux est si fragile, comme de fils de la Vièrge"

Would you want to repeat "fil"  in the same sentence? I always avoid that if I can  but perhaps I am just pedantic.(it would be "comme des fils" by the way.)

I have a feeling that "entre eux" is pronounced as "entreux" if that makes any diffence.

Also I am  not sure  if you mightn't say something  more like "les fils qui les relient."

I like the repetition of the 'fil' sound - fil, fragile, fils - it makes it very elegant.

I wonder could one say " un fil de la Vierge", after all I mean one strand, not a cobweb full.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service